May 08, 2008

Bring Back Burns

The axe finally fell on Paul Maurice yesterday. Fired. Relieved of his duties. Released. Not exactly what I would call earth-shattering news. We all saw this one coming from a kilometre away.

I'm not going to dwell too much on Maurice's tenure with the Toronto Maple Leafs. He simply didn't get the job done. Under his tutelage the Leafs were unable to win on home ice, sported a mediocre power play, and were frighteningly awful at killing penalties. Most importantly, the team didn't make the playoffs.

I can't honestly say I'm going to miss him. As I've written before, his track record speaks for itself and, well, it ain't making a whole lot of noise. Maurice just isn't that great of a coach.

Yes, Maurice is good people. And a great quote. I hope he lands on his feet and gets another job in the NHL if that is what he desires. However, good guys always finish last. Dead last. Or, well, 24th in the 30 team NHL.

You know who else was a great quote? Pat Burns. And he was pretty good at that whole coaching thing, too. He's the perfect man for the job. Burns' resume screams competence: a Stanley Cup ring, a Jack Adams award, and experience in Toronto. Who better than Mr. Burns to take over behind the bench? His passion is exactly what we need as we enter a new era.

Of course, "competence" and "Maple Leafs" don't exactly go hand-in-hand, but I can't imagine that Burns doesn't want this job. The Leafs hold a special place in his heart. I remember reading an article from a couple of years ago when the 1992/1993 Leafs got together for a little reunion. Burns spoke fondly about that team and how special it was. He also offered this little nugget of information: on his mantle at home is not a picture of his Stanley Cup winning New Jersey Devils team. Instead it's a picture of the 92/93 Maple Leafs, the most special team he has ever coached.

Bring Back Burnsy. It has got to be done.

3 comments:

Araev16 said...

Hmmm...Nice idea, but I doubt Burns would come out of hiding to deal with that shit show.

Dave said...

That Burns quote - about the mantle picture - is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Burns is definately the right pick, even with some others popping up lately. What do you think about Clarke for GM? He's my pick. I want someone who will scare Peddie back upstairs where he belongs. If I was to bet money on it though I expect we will hire Nonis to be Peddie's yes man. Whether or not JFJ was a poor GM or not, he definately got royally screwed by our upper management.