September 07, 2007

Say It Ain't So, Troy

Sports Illustrated is reporting that Troy Glaus received steroids from a Florida pharmacy in 2003 and 2004. I guess it was only a matter of time before a Toronto Blue Jays player got caught up in the steroids storm...

I am not happy. All the talk about steroids was supposed to have been done and gone.
Barry Bonds, and his mammoth head, hit home run number 756. Finally he was gone from the sporting landscape, along with the cloud of steroid allegations that will hang over his head for the rest of his life.

And now this.

First, Rick Ankiel. What an idiot. Everyone fell in love with him over the past month. He was the perfect tonic after seeing Barry Bonds night after night on my television. Ankiel, the pitcher who forgot how to pitch but who went down to the minors and became a home run hitting machine. Today, we have a clearer idea of just how he became a home run hitting machine.

And now Troy Glaus. The Toronto Blue Jays'
own Troy Glaus. My Troy Glaus. Ouch. This one hurts. Earlier this year I said that if Troy Glaus were a hockey player in this town, he'd be a local hero due to his penchant to play through injuries. Hero? I'm not sure I can mention that word and Troy Glaus in the same sentence anymore.

Glaus reportedly received multiple packages of nandrolone and testosterone in September 2003 and May 2004. Not just once, but multiple times.


Although they are right now only allegations, Glaus, the perennial all-star and
World Series MVP in 2002, has lost a lot of respect in my books. He shouldn't even be mentioned in a story that has anything to do with steroids. It's despicable. Those who take steroids are cheaters, and I won't stand for them. I won't respect them and I won't cheer for them. Glaus has embarrassed himself, the Toronto Blue Jays organization, his teammates, and the city of Toronto.

Right now, he gets the benefit of the doubt. I'm looking forward to what he has to say to the media. And a "no comment" simply won't cut it. If the allegations are true, it's of my humble opinion that he does not deserve to wear the Blue Jays uniform ever again.

Look me in the eye, Mighty Troy. Look me in the eye and say it ain't so. Tell me the "Might" in "Mighty Troy" did not come from steroids. Otherwise pack your bags, because it's over.

0 comments: