June 02, 2010

Stealing Home: 27 Outs, Vol 3: Doc


That should have been Lyle Overbay smiling like a buffoon. And John Buck, or Jose Molina, embracing Roy Halladay with sheer delight.

Just when I thought I was over the Halladay trade, just when I thought I was okay with him no longer pitching for us in Toronto, Doc goes and tosses a perfect game for his new team, the Philadelphia Phillies. And I'll always remember where I was when I heard the news.

Read all about my conflicted emotions in the aftermath of Doc's momentous occasion, and how I'm no longer conflicted, at GlobeSports.com.

I read an interesting link yesterday, about Doc's perfection. One fact stuck with me, and it's one I won't soon forget: more men (24 to 20) have orbited the moon than pitched a perfect game.

Congatulations, Doc.

8 comments:

GregEdwards10 said...

Every time I think I'm about to get over the fact that Halladay "pitched perfect" for someone other than my Jays.. I end of reading articles like this.

Thanks eyebleaf, now I have to hit the drink again.

Mattt said...

I'm a bigger fan of the unassisted triple play. I think more folks have been ON the moon than been involved in the UTP.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Mattt said...

have been...oops

William J. Tasker said...

Perfect. The post and the game.

Escaped Lab Rat said...

I had no problem with his perfect game. If anybody worked hard enough to deserve one, it's Roy. Too bad he wasn't able to give us one, but that's how these things go...at least he didn't have his robbed on the 27th batter he face like poor Galarraga.

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

@ Greg: Sorry, mate. But: Cheers.

@ Mattt: The unassisted triple play is luck, pure and simple. A perfect game is a masterful pitching performance, and some luck, too. But it means a helluva lot more to me than the UTP.

@ William: Thank you, sir.

@ Escaped: Yeah, it was too bad he wasn't able to give us one. He was coming so close. But Galarraga, wow, what class. When I grow up, I hope to have as much humility as he does.

Mattt said...

I was referring to the statistical anomoly, not the accomplishment...

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

You're absolutely right, Mattt, it's rare as shit. Apologies if I took your comment the wrong way. According to Baseball Almanac, it's only happened 15 times. If you'd told me it was an over/under of 10, I've have probably gone with the under.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats8.shtml