November 05, 2008

President Barack Obama

I think Kevin Garnett said it best: Anything is possible.

How about that fucking acceptance speech? Was that not the greatest speech you've ever heard in your life? I thought the way Obama reached out to Republicans was most impressive:

"And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. And I will be your President, too."

Seriously, how beautiful is that? What a guy, that Obama.

When he brought up the story of 106-year-old Georgian Ann Nixon Cooper, I'll admit it, I got emotional. I pulled a Jerry Seinfeld: "What is this salty discharge?"

When it was all said and done, and Obama stood waving to the crowd, I couldn't help but sit there and shake my head in utter disbelief at the incredible oratory performance I'd just heard. A speech my kids will one day listen to and read about in school. It was a verbal orgasm, and I needed a cigarette when it was over.

As a Canadian who watched this election with tremendous fascination, I just want to say thank you to America, and to my American friends. Thank you for restoring my faith in you, and in your country. We're proud of you.

"Change is coming to America...A new dawn of American leadership is at hand...This is our moment...Yes We Can..."

Amen, President Obama. Amen.


By the way, this entry is cross-posted over at Getting Nifty In The Clutch, an uber-blogging team I've joined. Check it out. You won't regret it.

I'm serious. Go. I look forward to a future of many nifty moments in the clutch. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was an awesome speech. He's got great delivery and great writers to help him. I love how people all over the world seem so full of hope at this appointment.

And yet, almost 50% of the country still voted for the other guy (although I thought McCain was a fair candidate who didn't have a great shot at winning due to 8 years of Bush).

general borschevsky said...

We are very happy. One thing that occurs to me is that all of the very worst bigots in America, y'know - the ones who think Obama sound too much like Osama, as if that were relevant - woke up to their worst nightmare.

Bigots beware - your time is up.

Great picture of Obama by the way. I'm gonna put that on a t-shirt. See ya later Che Guerrero.

Ian Hunter said...

Was it sad that I watched more of the American Presidential Election coverage, than the Canadian coverage?

blurr1974 said...

Well said. I sat in awe, with my daughter on my lap, and explained to her who the man on the TV was. I told her she was the president, and she said "oh. I like him." I told her "me too."

What I really wanna know though, is what's your take on AJ Burnett?

dani said...

Woo woo! I wonder what kind of puppy the kids are getting...

dani said...

Oh, salty discharge bonus!

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

@ Escaped: It's one thing to write a great speech, but when a person can deliver it like that, damn. Amazing. And you're right, it's fucked up, and scary, that almost 50% of people still voted for McCain/Palin. A lot of crazy shit is dropping about Palin now - apparently she didn't know that Africa was a bloody continent. The aftermath of this election for the GOP should be fun to watch.

@ General: There's still a lot of ignorant people, and a lot of ignorance in general, out there. But you're right, last night was huge.

@ Ian: What Canadian election?

@ Blurr: Your daughter is a smart little girl. It's awesome that the two of you watched history together. As for AJ, I've already said goodbye.

@ Dani: Are you allowed to have a puppy in the White House? Salty discharge: gotta love Seinfeld!