June 06, 2009

Deep Thoughts




Chris Bosh isn't signing an extension with the Raptors this summer. If you're surprised, you're probably not very bright. He wants to be a free agent, and he wants a max contract. I can't blame him. I'd want the same.

I'm not exactly a basketball aficionado. I don't know much, but I do know that Bosh is not worth $130 million over six years. I can't imagine Bryan Colangelo thinks he is, either.

Whether he's traded this summer or departs via free agency, Bosh will go do down as the second-best Raptor ever. It's been swell, CB4.

More importantly, who should replace Boshosauras in the Sports And The City banner? Calderon and his three-ball salute, or the emotionless Andrea Bargnani? ...

Typical Toronto Blue Jays: light up the best pitcher in baseball, Zack Grienke, then get owned by Luke Hochevar.

You know we're in June when even I begin to question The Cito. Trailing 5-2 in the bottom of the 7th inning, with runners on second and third, why not bring in Scott Rolen to pinch hit for Raul Chavez? Sure, Chavez homered earlier in the game, but I'm about as confident in his bat as I am in Vernon Wells as a cleanup hitter. And it's not like Rolen needed the rest; he didn't play on Wednesday, either.

I'm beginning to think that Scott Richmond's penchant for one brutal inning per start might have him sent to the bullpen or, worse, down to Las Vegas. Canada hasn't won a game since May 3. And because everyone and their mother has had a chance to pitch for the Jays this season, I imagine Fabio Castro or Brad Mills will get a shot soon enough ...

Interesting post last night from The Globe and Mail's Robert MacLeod on Rios-Gate. When the Jays announced that Rios would be making a statement - apologizing - on the field before yesterday's game, MacLeod said: "Several reporters were not even yet aware what Rios had done." Clearly, those reporters weren't on Twitter and/or on the blogs, which were buzzing about Rios' vocabulary all Friday afternoon. The power of the blogosphere ...

Doc's on the mound tomorrow. If you need me, I'll be at the Rogers Centre ...

UPDATE: TFC continues to suck. I guess they're just trying to fit in.

1 comments:

Johnny G said...

Is there some sort of contract limitation in basketball where they can only sign for so much as a first time free agent with another team?

Isn't it much more likely that the Raps sign and trade him to get him the contract he wants plus assets in return?

Now I may be waaaaaay off base here. Basketball is not my forte (but that is.... hehe see what I did there?)...