June 12, 2009

In search of a moniker ...




As I mentioned on Twitter last night, we need a nickname for Jason Frasor. A good one. And suggestions have begun to come down the pipe.

ar - Kee hit the ground running with "The Vulture." I like it. Much like a bird that feeds on the carcasses of dead animals, there is something predatory-like about the 2009 version of Frasor.

Platform Shag put forth "Razor," and The Blue Jay Hunter is on board. Unfortunately, I'm not, and I'm going to have to shoot this one down. It can't be done. Not in this town. Thanks to one Andrew Raycroft, not anymore. It would be a slap in Frasor's face for him to have the same moniker as the most atrocious goalie to suit up for the Toronto Maple Leafs in recent memory. Apologies, Pshag and Ian.

I do, however, like Searching For '93's suggestion: "Hightower." Something about it works. At 5'10 and 175 pounds, Frasor isn't a dominating physical presence on the mound. But he pitches like one. He pitches like a "Hightower." And the nickname reminds me of Officer Hightower, from Police Academy, which I always thought was based in Chicago, Frasor's hometown. Bottom line: I dig.

Last, and certainly not least, "The Bullpen Ninja," courtesy The Ack. I must admit, I'm feeling this one, too, probably the most. Frasor certainly is ninja-like. Quiet and unassuming, yet lethal. He can beat you with one mother fucker of a fastball, or his "fosh" pitch.

What do you think? Have at it in the comments, and throw in new suggestions as well. Jason Frasor, along with his 1.96 ERA, 0.74 WHIP, and .182 opponents batting average, is worth it.

UPDATE: How do we not go with Sausage King?

9 comments:

Drew said...

I'm thinking something Ferris Bueller related, cuz he's little and from Chicago.

Jason 'Save Ferris" Frasor

Jason 'Abe Froman" Frasor

The Sausage King of the Bullpen!!!! Sold.

Tao of Stieb said...

The Sausage King! Double sold!

Ian Hunter said...

Ah yes, forgot about Raycroft (which I'm sure most people in Toronto have also. All the above are great suggestions. Hightower is my favourite, so long as Frasor makes the sounds like the guy from Police Academy.

Anonymous said...

Jason "The Laser" Fraser

Anonymous said...

Oops. I mean Frasor.

William J. Tasker said...

hmm..

K-Fray?

K-J-Fray?

Hell Raiser Frasor?

Andrew Bucholtz said...

I hope that Hightower doesn't make Frasor think of/act like Tim Hightower (Cardinals RB), because he sort of sucks.

SL said...

Fire Hydrant

Anonymous said...

From the Toronto Blue Jays RealGM board:

Jason "Mongolian Destructor" Frasor, as the only difference between Frasor and Genghis Khan is the horse.